Of course watching the Superbowl is better with snacks, but they don’t have to blow up your clean diet regime. Holistic Nutritionist and Wellness Expert Trish Krause says this is what she serving up Sunday.
Rainbow Fresh Rolls with Almond Dipping Sauce
Ingredients: • Rice paper wraps • Assorted veggies, julienned (Red pepper, onion, carrot, cucumber, beet, avocado, mango – your choice!) • Fresh herbs, sliced into ribbons (Basil, thai basil, mint) • Cilantro springs
*If desired, add sliced cold cooked shrimp or cooked and chilled slivered chicken.
Dipping sauce: • 2 cloves garlic (approx. 1 TBSP) • 1 inch nub of fresh ginger, peeled • ½ cup almond butter (or nut butter of choice) • 2 tsp. tamari • ¼ – ½ cup water
Directions: • Julienne a variety of veggies, fruits and herbs. • Fill two shallow containers with hot (not boiling) water. Place 1 rice wrapper in the water in each dish and let soak for 45 -60 seconds until completed softened. Remove from water and lay on cutting board, one wrap on top of each other. TIP: using 2 wrappers makes these rolls much easier to roll for beginners, but if you prefer, you can use just one. • Place veggies, herbs etc. in the centre of the wraps. • Roll wraps up tightly, first folding in the bottom, then the sides, the top, then rolling the rest up. • Slice in half and stand up on plate.
TIP: if making in advance, cover with damp tea towel until serving.
For the sauce: • Blitz garlic, ginger in food processor or blender. • Add other ingredients and combine. • Add water slowly, thinning out until desired consistency.
Absolutely Addictive Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
1 head of cauliflower
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute for gluten-free rice flour)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp of paprika
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp Earth Balance buttery spread
1 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 450°F. Wash and cut cauliflower head into small bite-sized pieces.
2. Mix all the ingredients (minus the Earth Balance and hot sauce) into a mixing bowl.
3. The batter will be thin enough that it runs off your fork and the cauliflower florets. Dip each floret into the mixture and coat evenly. You can shake or tap off the excess on the side of the bowl.
4. Lay florets in an even layer on the parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. While the cauliflower is baking get your ranch dip and wing sauce ready. In a small saucepan on low heat melt Earth Balance and mix in hot sauce, bringing to a low simmer before removing from the heat.
7. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and put all the baked florets into a mixing bowl with the wing sauce and toss to coat evenly. Then spread all the florets in wing sauce out onto the same baking sheet. Bake in the oven for another 25 minutes.